A steel building can be constructed a couple of ways: hire a contractor to do it, or do-it-yourself. The former can cost more but will also ensure it’s done correctly the first time. If you choose to build it yourself, a steel building kit from worldwidesteelbuildings.com is prefabricated with you in mind, and can also save you time and money.
Outline Your Project
Prior to purchasing a prefabricated steel building and putting it together yourself, or hiring a contractor to do it; you need to think through the overall objectives and goals you have for your project, and truly evaluate if you and your team can accomplish them without the help of a professional, or if you need that expert to ensure it gets done right the first time.
If you’re not sure which way to go, connect with one of our consultants and we’ll talk you through your plans and decide which is best. A very general rule of thumb when making this decision tends to be the smaller the building or project, the easier it is to construct yourself with less machinery and/or tools.
A pre-fabricated, steel building kit comes with all the materials, instructions, and support from WorldWide Steel Buildings you could possibly need to construct your building. The size and magnitude of the building will help you determine whether you want to do-it-yourself or not. Some people choose to tackle the project themselves in order to save money, while others prefer to have a contractor do the work to save themselves the headache and time.
All WorldWide Steel Building trusses are pre-punched allowing them to bolt together easily. They also have the girt clips and purlin factory welded for construction convenience. Each steel purlin and grit attach to the clips with self-drilling screws. Your sheet metal then attaches to them with self-drilling, colored screws that are flanged. They even self-seal to prevent leaks. Every building also comes with a step-by-step erection manual to help guide you or your local contractor from start to finish of your building.
Depending on the type of project you’re working on, the construction will obviously vary. WorldWide Steel Buildings has two different erection manuals to accompany their corresponding design: Open Web Truss Erection Manual, and Rigid Frame Erection Manual.
WorldWide Steel knows constructing a building doesn’t come cheap which is why we’ve designed our buildings with you in mind. We truly believe most of our kits should be able to be constructed yourself in order to save you the money of hiring a contractor. We even offer financing for that initial purchase if needed.
Don’t hesitate to contact us with any and all questions you might have regarding your project, pricing, or how-to. WorldWide Steel Buildings is here to help.
When the average person thinks of a steel building, they think garage, storage shed, maybe even an airplane hanger, but there is so much more to steel buildings than meets the eye. You can create nearly any type of room or building that your mind can imagine like a guest house, a man cave, even a distillery.
There are several benefits to creating your favorite spaces using a Worldwide Steel Building.
- Durability: The steel used in metal buildings can withstand even the most severe of weather conditions. Large balls of hail, lightning rods, and high-speed winds are no match for a steel building. Not only do they hold up well in all types of weather, they also stand the test of time and will last decades without showing much wear and tear, if any.
- Ease of maintenance: There are no worries of roof shingles that need to be replaced, deteriorating exterior materials, or hard-to-clean surfaces on a steel building. A simple hose-down periodically will keep your building clean and have it looking excellent.
- Simplicity: There are few materials involved with a steel building and the structure itself is extremely simple. They are easy to put together in a short amount of time because of their simple nature. On a prepared slab, a 1200 ft. structure can go up in as little as a few hours.
- Flexibility: You can build nearly anything with a steel building. Doors or any type, windows, even plush interiors can all be part of these types of structures with a little planning.
- Affordability: The materials used to create a steel building are far less expensive than the concrete, lumber, brick, etc. needed to construct other types of structures. The property taxes are also much lower because the value of the steel building is likely to be seen as less valuable than many other types of constructed buildings.
- Easy to handle: Safety precautions are always a necessity, but overall, there aren’t many pieces to a steel building that are difficult to handle. The steel tubing is not as heavy as you may thing, and the sheet metal can be easy to deal with.
- They are fireproof: Steel doesn’t burn, so things are kept safe from this risk. It makes it a great place to store historical or expensive cars, to work on crafting projects, and more. This also adds to the longevity. In areas where summers are hot and fires are common, and the fact that many unexpected fires occur as well, makes it a place to build where you can have peace of mind that the contents inside and the building itself aren’t going to be affected by an external fire.
- Energy efficiency: Steel buildings can be insulated with a spray insulation that is very energy efficient and the insulation can also seal up leaks or spaces, keeping the needs for cooling and heating to a minimum.
- The buildings are bug-proof: Owners of a steel building won’t ever have to worry about structural damage due to an infestation of bugs eating away at the building materials because there are no bugs that will eat through steel.
- Inexpensive repairs: If the building is in need of repair for one reason or another, you can simply attach another piece of metal over the damaged area. If the damage is larger, it is inexpensive and simple to replace the entire section.
Owning a steel building has many benefits and there are endless uses for these versatile and solid buildings. Perhaps the most appealing benefits are the cost-effectiveness and how easy they are to put together because of their simple nature. Almost anyone can benefit from owning a steel building.
There are various wind ratings based on area throughout the country, with a heavy concentration of extremely high wind zones in the mid-western region of the country, reaching down into several southern states. Many of these states are subject to tornadoes as well. According to FEMA, even in parts of the county where there are significantly lower chances of high winds, there are “special wind regions” that can experience strong winds. Of course, weather can often play a role in wind speed and the southern and eastern coasts are also at high risk for experiencing hurricanes.
No matter what area of the country you are in, Worldwide Steel Buildings have proven time and time again to withstand, not just the test of time, but of winds and weather as well. Our buildings are set to the highest standards and internal codes and have proven to sustain minimal, if any, damage in the most severe conditions with proper maintenance.
Steel is a cost-effective and very strong material that can easily be designed into a great building used for almost any purpose, from barns to storage to churches. There are several designs we offer that should be considered based on your location and the wind and weather conditions that may come your way.
- Rigid frame – This frame is also referred to as an “I‐beam” or the “red iron” and rigid frame buildings are typically built for commercial or industrial use. This frame can be great for any type of condition, but you’ll want to consider the type of shallow roof zoning required for your area first.
- Open Web truss – This type of building has a higher roof pitch than the rigid frame and is often used in residential areas. With an extremely heavy weight, these have incredible strength in any condition that almost no other building can beat.
- Quonset Hut – These are commonly called “arch buildings” because of their curved nature. They were once used primarily for military purposes but are now used often in agriculture and farming. These buildings tend to be open and only used as a basic covering or shelter. Enclosing and insulating them can be inconvenient and costly. These are better used in areas that do not have high wind or snow load requirements.
Worldwide steel constructs our buildings unlike any other steel buildings with a strong and solid frame that beats the design and standards of our competition. In fact, our strongest buildings have 4-5 times the strength against wind compared to most other steel buildings. The buildings are designed to beat Mother Nature and withstand the worst of weather.
Before choosing your building, be sure to consider your needs, weather conditions, and zoning and building codes in your area to avoid any unforeseen issues.