When you invest in personal belongings, whether that includes hobby materials, agricultural supplies, automobiles or just a push lawnmower for your yard, you need to make sure you are investing in ways to protect those belongings. Equipment sheds might sound like something agricultural or commercial enterprise needs, but when you can design the storage shed plans yourself, you can make even a simple backyard shed into exactly what you need.
Sure, one-size-fits-all particle board storage sheds can often be found premade alongside metal garage kits at your local big box home improvement store, but they’re rarely the best solution. Not only are they unlikely to fit the particular needs of your equipment and property, but they’re not even cheaper or much easier to get onto your property (if you want anything long-lasting, anyway).
For Ultimate Customization, Look for Metal Equipment Shed Designs
Worldwide Steel Buildings offers truly DIY design and build capabilities from everything to garden sheds to farm sheds to larger commercial equipment sheds that are an affordable and easy-to-install solution to all storage needs. These buildings can be installed in any shape or size with a wide variety of different amenities that make it simple to customize the storage shed to your particular requirements.
Not only do you control the square footage of your shed (that’s length, width and height), you control the materials list and the building components. There are nearly endless options for what you might want to customize on your DIY shed. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Size: Design your building plans to represent not only what you need from a shed today, but what you might need in the future. Have a growing small business? You’ll probably need more room a year from now. Retiring soon? You’ll probably have more time for your passion projects, whether they’re woodworking, auto restoration or gardening (hey, you’ll need somewhere cool to store your garden tools). Maybe you want a shed that’s just tall enough to fit your equipment but not tall enough to eclipse the treeline or violate your HOA. Maybe you want a two-story building, either for clearance or to add a lofted second floor for additional storage.
- Purpose: If you just need storage space for wood pallets or tools that aren’t affected by the elements, you probably don’t need to worry much about adding HVAC or electricity to your building plans. But if you’re going to use power tools in there, or even have it double as a tiny house, definitely take those things into consideration.
- Roof: Everything from the color to the pitch of your metal roof can impact its functionality. Many of our customers opt for an extra-large overhang on at least one side of their shed, to add some additional outdoor storage. If you know your shed will be placed in an area that’s prone to standing water, you can add extended eaves to keep water away from the building.
- Doors: Some sheds can probably get away with a sliding barn door or manual double doors. Others, like those designed for farm equipment storage, will need a roll-up garage door (customizable to whatever width you need).
- Windows: Let in as little or as much natural light as you need. A farm shop may benefit from more, a storage building for antique cars may benefit from less. And you can put our windows wherever you need to: one closer to the foundation can easily double as a door for hens in a chicken coop!
Don’t think you know how to build a shed? You can do it, we promise. Many of Worldwide Steel’s happy customers were true beginners to at-home construction when they received their first metal building kit. Our precision-engineered, pre-punched trusses and easy-to-install girts make it simple. Imagine how proud you’ll feel, being able to say you truly built your own shed.
Why Choose Steel For Your Shed
There are lots of reasons to build with steel. First, it is very versatile. Steel is roll-formed into uniform and precise shapes that will allow whatever design is necessary for a building. This means that steel can easily be manipulated to fit a certain height to house larger equipment, and can be used to fit in any property space. This gives metal equipment sheds an advantage over wood sheds due to the strength of steel. Wood sheds are going to be cumbersome and limited in flexibility and building options.
Second, it’s incredibly durable. Steel components don’t bend, warp or twist. The durable materials stand up to the test of time, providing long-term security and safety to your equipment without wearing down from weather and use. And since steel doesn’t shrink or expand like wood does, your steel equipment shed is a lot less prone to leaks than a standard wooden shed would be. This is what makes all the difference when you are comparing equipment shed designs. Plus, Worldwide Steel is so confident in its buildings that it offers an industry-leading 50-year structural warranty on anything you design, from the smallest of small sheds to the largest of large sheds.
You invest a lot in your belongings, whether that includes machinery, agricultural equipment, or personal hobby equipment. Whatever you are looking to store, you need to make sure that you are putting your belongings in an equipment shed that will protect them completely. Designing your own equipment shed, from blueprints to paint colors, is the only answer.
For more information about customized metal equipment sheds, get in touch with Worldwide Steel. Give us a call at (800) 825-0316, test out your shed design ideas in our 3D Building Designer or request a free quote online.